Spanish

Key Stage 3

 Languages at Key Stage 3 incorporate vocabulary learning, oral practice, listening and reading skills, dictionary skills, writing practice and the study of grammar. Pupils are tested regularly and assessed half termly to track progress.  Pupils are encouraged to use Spanish in the classroom where possible and consolidate topics through homework and class work tasks. Spanish pupils use Mira 1 and Mira 2.

Languages Day gives pupils an opportunity to learn about the importance of learning other languages and pupils take part in a number of activities throughout the day for example quizzes, watching films in another language, eating foreign food and speaking new languages in class. It is a day to celebrate cultural diversity.

Key Stage 4

Examination Board: AQA

The four contexts are Leisure, Work and Education, Home and Environment and Lifestyle. Pupils are expected to produce 4 pieces of controlled assessment over the two years, which form 60% of the final mark. The remaining 40% are dedicated to listening and reading.

During year 11 pupils can attend extra speaking practice sessions after school, as well as revision classes to prepare them for their final examinations in the summer. Each pupil has their own copy of the GCSE textbook to aid their homework and access to dictionaries in class.

 Year 10 and 11 pupils receive vocabulary booklets and workbooks to accompany their learning and practice past papers throughout the course. Each lesson encourages pupils to be independent learners of their chosen Modern Foreign Language or Languages. Many continue post GCSE with AS and A2 Spanish.